<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, December 24, 2004

I recently heard a Christmas song by Christina Aguilera. Listening to the lyrics, the song seemed like quite the joyful Christmas song: about love, presents under the tree, going home for Christmas. Happy, right? Not the way she sang it. If you don’t understand any English, you’d think someone was trying to rip a baby from her womb. She sang in her usual deep throated, almost grunt-like style, which works for her other songs. But when she is singing, “Oh how much joy is at Christmas time”, or, “This year’s gonna be the best Christmas because there’ll be family and Christmas cheer,” shouldn’t she at least sound happy?

I thought that maybe she was bitter because everybody except for her was going home for Christmas, or maybe she sounded angry and harsh because the song was supposed to be sarcastic. I read through the lyrics carefully, trying to solve this mystery, and as far as I can see, it’s a warm and cheerful Christmas song. That means Christina Aguilera has some major reading comprehension issues. How much do you want to bet that she performs it in a S&M costume with tight fists and a pained look on her face? With sweaty background dancers ripping presents apart and stomping on Christmas trees? They should get rid of that song.

Last night I stayed up until the wee hours of the morning listening to Nicole C. Mullen’s “Christmas in Black and White” album that my father brought home. The gentle, jazzy tunes warmed the cockles of my cold and bitter heart. It’s a very sweet and unpretentious album. She sings in a normal to low register so I am able to sing along without going frighteningly falsetto.

For the next couple of days, I am going to be seeing lots of people, consuming ridiculous amounts of food, and calling family and friends in many countries. I might also go shopping, but hopefully I won’t spend too much money. I wish you all a wonderful holiday. Remember to love and forgive your families.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?